Glimepiride 2mg and Metformin Hydrochloride (SR) 1000mg tablets– Glemecruz MPI is a combination of the two drugs Glimepiride and Metformin, which are used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes. Both drugs belong to an anti-diabetic class of drugs.
They work in different ways to lower blood sugar levels in diabetic people. Glimepiride helps the pancreas produce more insulin. Insulin is a hormone that helps the body use sugar for energy. Metformin helps the body use insulin more effectively. It also reduces the amount of sugar that the liver produces.
Uses of Glimepiride and Metformin Tablets
Glimepiride and metformin tablets are used to treat type 2 diabetes mellitus in adults. They are a combination of two different types of diabetes medications: sulfonylurea (glimepiride) and biguanide (metformin).
- Sulfonylureas work by increasing the amount of insulin released by the pancreas. Insulin is a hormone that helps the body’s cells use glucose (sugar) for energy.
- Biguanides work by reducing the amount of glucose that the liver produces and by helping the body’s cells use insulin more effectively.
Glimepiride and metformin tablets are typically used when diet and exercise alone are not enough to control blood sugar levels. They may also be used in combination with other diabetes medications, such as insulin. Glimepiride and metformin tablets are not indicated for the treatment of type 1 diabetes.
Precautions for the use of Glimepiride and Metformin Tablets
- Take the medication as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take more or less medication than prescribed.
- Monitor your blood sugar levels regularly. This will help your doctor determine whether the medication is working and whether your dosage needs to be adjusted.
- Glimepiride and metformin tablets are not recommended for people with liver impairment and should be used with caution by people with heart failure.
- Glimepiride and metformin tablets are not recommended for use during pregnancy.
- Glimepiride and metformin tablets pass into breast milk. Therefore, breastfeeding is not recommended while taking these medications.
Directions for use of Glimepiride and Metformin Tablets
Directions for use of Glimepiride and Metformin Tablets:
- Take the tablets with food once a day, usually with breakfast.
- Swallow the tablets whole with water. Do not chew or crush them.
- Take the tablets at the same time each day. This will help you remember to take them and get the most benefit from them.
- If you forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your next dose at the usual time. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed dose.
Possible Side Effects of Glimepiride and Metformin Tablets
It is important to note that not everyone will experience side effects from glimepiride and metformin tablets. The severity of side effects can also vary from person to person. The following are some of the possible side effects of glimepiride and metformin tablets:
- Stomach pain
- Loss of appetite
- Metallic taste in the mouth
- Weight gain